|The last sail of the Gneisenau under her own steam. Here she can be seen behind the old pre-dreadnought Schlesien and the ice-breaker Castor, on what would became her final journey, to Gotenhafen (Gdynia) where she arrived 4 April 1942.|
|The Gneisenau was decommissioned 1 July 1942. A planned rebuilding, following the decommissioning, was later cancelled. The photographs above was taken during the decommissioning ceremony.|
|The Gneisenau was transfered to the Gotenhafen (Gdynia) branch of Deutsche Werke in April 1942. On the photograph she can be seen in the floating dock in Gotenhafen (Gdynia). Here her stem was cut off and used as scrap metal.|
|This photograph was taken before the stem was cut off. But the removal of the bow is already in progress. Unlike what other sources say, the visible dark structures along the shipside are not the turrets from the Gneisenau, but tall cranes and the shadows they cast .||This photograph shows the Gneisenau in Gotenhafen (Gdynia) after the stem was cut off. Her barbettes was covered.|
|This photograph was taken 1 August 1942 and shows the Gneisenau in Gotenhafen (Gdynia). The arrows indicates the empty barbettes for the main armament. The letter "A" indicates other equipment that has been unshipped.||Another photograph of the Gneisenau in Gotenhafen (Gdynia). The letters "A", "B", and "C" indicates the missing 28 cm main turrets. The letters "D" and "E" point to the storage area for the 28 cm main turrets.|
© John Asmussen, 2001 - 2010. All rights reserved.